+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does wind chill affect inanimate objects?

Captain Amazing The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued's Avatar

Does wind chill affect inanimate objects?

We all know how wind chill affects us. But what about inanimate objects? If the temperature is 20 degrees with a 30 mph wind, will a road sign be colder than it would be if there was no wind?

If this belongs in the Cheap Post forum, please move it there.

Zelophehad's Daughter Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro's Avatar

Re: Does wind chill affecr inanimate objects?

temperature will not drop, nor will the road 'feel' colder. But the road will, depending on the material, shrink with the cold and rise with the heat. that is why roads are so much bumpier in the spring than they were in the fall, at least in my neck of the woods. water expands, blacktop buckles and becomes brittle and shatters in the cold.
    What does the Lord require of you, O mortal, but to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God?

Zelophehad's Daughter Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro has a reputation beyond repute Milagro's Avatar

on a more personal note, when I step outside in the cold, the metal in my leg shrinks, though at a different rate than than the soft tissues around it. At it warms slower, as my leg warms, the metal stays colder long, retaining the chill.

You know when you where a ring, and you step outside into the cold, it feels looser? your hand has contracted, and your ring has as well, though a different amount because it is of different material.
    What does the Lord require of you, O mortal, but to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God?

Captain Amazing The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued has much to be proud of The Rescued's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milagro View Post
    on a more personal note, when I step outside in the cold, the metal in my leg shrinks, though at a different rate than than the soft tissues around it. At it warms slower, as my leg warms, the metal stays colder long, retaining the chill.

You know when you where a ring, and you step outside into the cold, it feels looser? your hand has contracted, and your ring has as well, though a different amount because it is of different material.
    Very interesting. Being a single guy, I wouldn't know anything about wearing rings, but the concept makes sense.

Hey, guys wear rings all the time. I make no judgments.

senior member judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith has a reputation beyond repute judith's Avatar
    switzerland -- on the other side of the globe

*startwhispering* Some guys look great with a ring.. *stopwhispering*

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

Zephaniah 3:17

That is true. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I'm just not one of them. Of course you didn't know that until now.

BTW, can one of the mods fix my typo in the thread name? Thanks.

Super Moderator stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma has a reputation beyond repute stmomma's Avatar

Re: Does wind chill affect inanimate objects?

fixed

Administrator John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Rescued View Post
    We all know how wind chill affects us. But what about inanimate objects? If the temperature is 20 degrees with a 30 mph wind, will a road sign be colder than it would be if there was no wind?

If this belongs in the Cheap Post forum, please move it there.
    All that the wind does is speeds the rate of cooling for the object that is warmer than the environment. If you place a freshly grilled, 100 steak in a 30 environment with a breeze, it will lose heat faster than if it were placed in a 30 environment with no wind. But, once the steak hits 30, it is now the same temperature as its environment, and will not cool anymore regardless of wind speed, as equilibrium has been reached.

That sums it up as best as I know it. If I'm wrong at all, let me know.
    No evil deed is worse than the indifference of a good man.
    -The Boondock Saints

Cool is my middle name! Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar has a reputation beyond repute Blackbeltguitar's Avatar

I don't really ask... i just know.

John, are you gonna see Boondock Saints II?
    Myspace is dead.... or at least it should be dying
    Look me up on facebook. I'm on Tina's friends list.

Administrator John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute John has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to. Unfortunately, it's only screening on the east and west coasts. Hopefully it will have a nationwide release. I can't wait to see it.
    No evil deed is worse than the indifference of a good man.
    -The Boondock Saints

Well, I finally got a chance to give John's answer to my friend who originally asked me the question. He seemed pretty pleased with it. Way to go, John!

Ghost of KR MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker has a reputation beyond repute MetalRocker's Avatar

i always thought windchill was based on teh fact that our body tempature changes or 'adapts' to the tempature around us. and since windchill isn't an actual tempature ('its going to feel like -10') i don't think it could affect something that has no feeling.
    just my thought
    KutlessRocks Justice League Member:Ghost

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information