PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Christian Novels and Writers

stmomma
05-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Have y'all read any of Frank Peretti. "The Oath" is an excellent book portraying the battle between good and evil in a particularly gruesome way. Maybe you should read it Patrick, then decide about doing something dark.

John
05-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I love Prophet, This Present Darkness, and Piercing the Darkness, all by Peretti. Prophet is my favorite, though.

stmomma
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Prophet was a good book. I love the way Peretti takes a spiritual idea and turns it in to something physical and real.

ChristFlame
05-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I haven't read any Peretti, but I've always heard good things about his novels. I have seen the film of "Hangman's Curse" (which I can tell Peretti played a large part in creating) and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty dark, but very well done. I am planning on reading some of his stuff soon.

Crow
05-05-2006, 07:09 AM
I love Prophet, This Present Darkness, and Piercing the Darkness, all by Peretti. Prophet is my favorite, though.

All 3 of those are good. "The Visitation" is good too; "Monster" is only OK; "The Oath" is probably his worst effort.

Peretti also co-wrote "House" with Ted Dekker-- it just came out recently-- I picked it up but haven't had a chance to read it yet. It's supposed to be great.

Btw, Ted Dekker writes the same type of novels as Peretti, and although I haven't read any of his work yet, I hear that he's even better than Peretti.

J-Fluff
05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Btw, Ted Dekker writes the same type of novels as Peretti, and although I haven't read any of his work yet, I hear that he's even better than Peretti.

I LOVE Ted Dekker!!!! "Blink" is really good. He's got a couple more out that I really want to read.

One of the best book examples I can come up with immediately is the ending to The King's Buccaneer by Raymond Feist. Pug on the dragon delivering Nicholas' ship from certain destruction is a classic deus ex machina move.

I also love Raymond Feist!!! I've read "Magician" through "A Darkness at Sethanon", but I haven't gotten to Prince of the Blood, or King's Buccaneer. If you've read the riftwar saga, you would probably love the trilogy he wrote with Janny Wurts, Daughter, Servant, and Mistress of the Empire. They were awesome. They are set on the other set of the rift, during the war.

Tromos
05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
If you've read the riftwar saga, you would probably love the trilogy he wrote with Janny Wurts, Daughter, Servant, and Mistress of the Empire. They were awesome. They are set on the other set of the rift, during the war.

Yeah, as it turned out, I read those 3 first. I found them confusing. They made much more sense when I re-read them after reading Riftwar.

The other 2 series by Feist, The Riftwar Legacy and the Serpentwar Saga are also quite good. The end of the Serpentwar saga finally explains the true enemy behind the Riftwar as well (and it wasn't the Valheru).

ChristFlame
05-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I've only read Thr3e by Dekker, and I loved it. I'd really like to read more of his stuff. The next one I'll read will probably be Blink since I've always heard great things about it....

stmomma
05-06-2006, 07:50 PM
This is great. Reading is one of my passions. Thanks for all the heads up on really good authors and books.

I know they've been out for awhile, but has anybody read the Left Behind books?

My hubby really likes Terry Brooks as an author. He wrote the Shanara series which is quite interesting too.

kutless4724
05-06-2006, 08:05 PM

Yeah, read all of them....

J-Fluff
05-06-2006, 08:29 PM

Awesome series. I own all twelve. I haven't made it to the new ones though.

My hubby really likes Terry Brooks as an author. He wrote the Shanara series which is quite interesting too.

What is that about?

stmomma
05-07-2006, 01:14 AM

Awesome series. I own all twelve. I haven't made it to the new ones though.

What is that about?

The Shanara books are battles between good and evil. I don't think he's specifically a christian author, but there are some parallels in the way he portrays things. Sort of like Star Wars. I told my mom when I was 15 that if you think of "The Force," as the Holy Spirit it puts a whole different light on those movies. That was easier to do before the one where they put a more physical explanation into it.

J-Fluff
05-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Groovy groovy. I'll have to check those out, I'm always looking for good books to read. And I'm a total sucker for some good fiction,especially if it's sci-fi. I prefer a series though. One book is just never enough story for me...

Doess that make me a geek? :uglystupid2:

How many books are there in the Shanara series?

stmomma
05-07-2006, 06:34 PM

At least three. I read 3 a few years back. "The Sword of Shannara," "The Elfstones of Shannara, and "The Wishsong of Shannara."

Tromos
05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Groovy groovy. I'll have to check those out, I'm always looking for good books to read. And I'm a total sucker for some good fiction,especially if it's sci-fi. I prefer a series though. One book is just never enough story for me...

Doess that make me a geek? :uglystupid2:

Pick up Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. I know my wife loved it. It's the first of a 5 book series, followed by another 5 book series with the same characters, followed by 2 prequels. Lots of reading. Lots of entertainment.

Unfortunately, I read the Elfstones of Shannara first. Brooks fans tell me it's the worst of the lot and I should give Brooks a 2nd chance. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

stmomma
05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Another series I thoroughly enjoyed was "The Spellsinger" by Alan Dean Foster. The entire series is quite comical at times. Apparently the 1st book is out of print, but if you can get it at the library or 2nd hand somewhere, it is worth the effort. :2funny:

J-Fluff
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Alright! :-D
Thank for the help guys. Have yall ever read any Orson Scott Card? I highly, highly recomend him. There is a series about a guy named Ender that absolutely ROCKED!! It's some of that rare believable sci-fi. The series is: Ender's Game, Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. Then there's a novel that stands alone called Lost Boys. That one actually surprised me at the end, and that pretty much never happens anymore. He's not a christian author, but none of it is offensive stuff, very mature reading, and I don't mean mature as in XXX or anything, it just makes you think. I LOVED it.