PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendations

Chris
02-15-2006, 04:17 PM
I want to create a thread for us to recommend books to each other.

The first book I will recommend is Mere Christianity by CS Lewis

Band-aide
02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
First and foremost I must recommend the greatest book of all time...*coughthebiblecough*
Next would be "Every Young Woman's Battle" for us female types
I've heard "Every Young Man's battle" is a good one for u boys too

Tromos
02-16-2006, 06:44 AM
For every engaged or married woman, I would recommend For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhan. It provides surprising insights into how men think.

Latin Phrase of the Day: Sit vis vobiscum.

Wednesday's Latin Phrase of the Day: Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis.
Translation for Wednesday's Phrase: You don't know the power of the dark side.

Soulfire
02-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I reccomend this book by someone I know, it's in the process of finding a publisher, it's called "The Hand that calms the storm" it's very good :lol:

Band-aide
02-17-2006, 03:42 PM
gee I wonder who thats by....

Autum
02-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Ummm,
i recommend,
"The Days are just Packed"
by:Bill Watterson
I'm pretty sure thats the best book i've ever read.

Chris
02-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Ummm,
i recommend,
"The Days are just Packed"
by:Bill Watterson
I'm pretty sure thats the best book i've ever read.

what is it about?

Autum
02-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Are you kidding me? Its Calvin and Hobbes!!

Chris
02-18-2006, 10:51 AM
That isn't a real book. Still great though. I like Calvin and Hobbes but I didn't recognize the name.

Nae Nae
02-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul 2. It was the first book I read in that series, and I thought it was friggin' awesome.

Autum
02-18-2006, 09:00 PM
That isn't a real book...

Ya,I know.I was just kiddin.

Jeff_In_GA
02-19-2006, 12:20 AM
A good read is The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel

Autum
02-19-2006, 01:44 PM
What? You people actually read christian books? Whats ur problem!? jp.

Band-aide
02-19-2006, 06:10 PM
A good read is The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel

OOO I love that book!

Soulfire
02-27-2006, 03:23 AM
Dude, I read a bit of that from an article and he made some awesome points. I totally forgot about him...huih...

Jeff_In_GA
02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah Kayla, He talks about a lot of very interesting facts in the book. I need to go back through it & read it again to refresh my memory...

Fatstrat
02-28-2006, 01:54 AM
'Case for Christ' is indeed an excellent book. Also, it is hard to do better than anything by CS Lewis. Mere Christianity Screams to be read by believers and non believers as well.
I read quite a bit and just finished 'Monster' by Frank Peretti.
For real life drama, I would recomend 'In The Heart Of The Sea'. This is actually the true story that Moby Dick was derived from. Most folks don't know that there is a factual side to that fiction and it is an amazing example of human suffering and survival.
For funny I suppose I would suggest 'Missing Links' A funny ficional look at some real rag tag golfers.
For action/suspense most anything by Tom Clancy but his 'Cardinal of the Kremlin' is a real classic! :-D

Soulfire
02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
I reccomend this book by someone I know, it's in the process of finding a publisher, it's called "The Hand that calms the storm" it's very good :lol:

gee I wonder who thats by....

*innocent look*

why Kristi, I have no clue what you're talking about...

*nose grows*

Soulfire
02-28-2006, 06:09 PM
'Case for Christ' is indeed an excellent book. Also, it is hard to do better than anything by CS Lewis. Mere Christianity Screams to be read by believers and non believers as well.
I read quite a bit and just finished 'Monster' by Frank Peretti.
For real life drama, I would recomend 'In The Heart Of The Sea'. This is actually the true story that Moby Dick was derived from. Most folks don't know that there is a factual side to that fiction and it is an amazing example of human suffering and survival.
For funny I suppose I would suggest 'Missing Links' A funny ficional look at some real rag tag golfers.
For action/suspense most anything by Tom Clancy but his 'Cardinal of the Kremlin' is a real classic! :-D

I saw a documentary on the Moby Dick one...that was sad!!!! I mean...and gross too! Those poor people.

Fatstrat
03-05-2006, 03:54 AM
I saw a documentary on the Moby Dick one...that was sad!!!! I mean...and gross too! Those poor people.

A read you will probably never forget.

LIZZO
03-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I read quite a bit and just finished <span style='color:orange'>'Monster' by Frank Peretti.
</span> is a real classic! :-D

im reading that one right now...... i just finished Hangman's Curse by Frank Peretti and i also read Nightmare Academy also by FP... those are deffinently awesome books everyone should read if they like suspence stories

Autum
03-09-2006, 08:03 PM
yes! i read Nightmare Academy,and i watched Hangmans Curse.I also watched "The Visitation".Oh,i read monster too.nd read part of "the oath".lol.Frank Peretti is good.

Band-aide
03-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I've read those books. I remember them well.... the book is soo much better than the movie

Autum
03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
which one?Hangmans Curse?

Band-aide
03-11-2006, 01:08 AM
yes, it was filmed here in Spokane, at Rogers High School. The football game in the beginning is prolly m favorite part. Only because the oppsing team was my high school's...

Autum
03-11-2006, 02:30 PM
oh,thats totally cool.i love that movie.

sonofawsome
12-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I basically reccomend anything by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. A few awsome books were The Oath, Monster, Thr3e, Showdown, and my favorite, House by these authers together.

On the non-christian side anything by Robert Ludlum and Clive Cussler. For Example, The Bourne Identity, Supremacy, the Ultimatum, ;and The Bancroft Strategy, The Ambler Warning, and The Sigma Protocol By Robert Ludlum. Finally by Clive Cussler, The Oregon File books, The Navigator, Polar Shift, Raise The Titanic, and Iceberg.

TeresaT
12-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I love Frank Peretti. I read This Present Darkness and This Piercing Darkness. They give you a lot to think about. Loved them. I really like Max Lucado too. He has a no nonsence approach to things and makes it really easy to understand everything. Puts it all in layman's terms. Great reads.

Sydney!
12-25-2007, 08:51 PM
This Present Darkness is a really good read. I also love the books David Crowder writes: Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven But Nobody Wants To Die, and Praise Habit: Finding God In Sunsets and Sushi. Both are amazing. Jesus Freaks is also another favorite, although it can be graphic and is not for the squeamish or faint of heart (it talks about Christian martyrs basically).

I love the movie Hangmans Curse. I watched it in youth group and nearly died when I saw all the spiders (yucky little things).

John
12-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Avenged, by A.R. Chandler is an excellent book.

Chris
12-25-2007, 10:14 PM
I just finished Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller and A Peculiar People by Rodney Clapp

Band-aide
12-26-2007, 12:53 PM
John disagrees...But I liked Three by Ted Dekker

2ntech
12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
"Becoming a Woman of Influence: Making a Lasting Impact on Others Through Mentoring" by Carol Kent

robot[of]rock
12-30-2007, 02:50 AM
flashbang by mark steele was awesome!